President’s Message – September 2016

Home / Presidents Message / President’s Message – September 2016

President’s Message – September 2016

Hello Members,

A few updates for you to be aware of:

Garden Reviewers will be checking borders:  The next garden review is scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 1, during the work party.  We will be checking all the borders on each plot to make sure they are completely free from soil, chips, and plant overgrowth. All 4 borders on your plot should be completely visible at all times. As usual, all plots will be checked for weeds in assigned pathways and plot. Please be a good neighbor and pull your weeds.

Border Boards: The border boards surrounding each plot are deteriorating quickly. Please come out Saturday, Oct. 1 and help the border board committee replace boards. We cannot keep up with replacing the boards so we need a good turnout to replace as many boards as possible. PLEASE come out and help! Please reply to this email, or email kathy@lbcg.org, if you can help with the boards on Oct. 1 so we can plan accordingly.

October Work Party and Board Meeting: The next work party is Saturday, Oct. 1 from 7:30 – 9:30 AM.  Your help is needed to catch up on garden maintenance!  The weather is forecast to be cool that morning, so come on out and get some annual hours completed.  As always, the garden will be closed to members not participating in the work party.

Everyone is welcome to attend the Board Meeting at 9:45 AM in the large barn.

Fall Planting:   Now is the time to remove old, diseased, and unproductive plants and amend your soil for new crops. The deadline for being fully planted is Nov. 1. Any plot that is not fully planted by that date will receive a correction notice. Plots should have 80% planted area with the remaining 20% used for pathways and storage. As a reminder, artichokes and asparagus must be planted at least 4 feet in from the border.  Avoid watering pathways and unplanted areas of your plots to discourage weed growth and conserve water.

Tomatoes, Eggplants & Peppers: Remember that all tomato, eggplant, and pepper plants must be removed by Dec. 1 through March 1. This rule is in place to diminish pests and diseases that can persist through the winter months, giving our summer crops a healthier start in the next year.

Extra Soil:  If you are building raised beds or amending your plot, you can take extra soil from (or place unneeded soil in) plot Q14, in the back row (southwest corner of the garden).  Reminder: Do NOT put soil in the dumpsters.

Happy Gardening!

Kathy Jarvis
kathy@lbcg.org
714 716-7002

Recent Posts

Leave a Comment

Menu